Hello New Year! So far 2014 doesn’t feel all to different with familiar names like Drake and French Montana consistently pushing out fresh music. Come to think of it, that’s great resolution- staying consistent. With that, here’s the lines of the week:
5. “House so big I haven’t seen them boys in two days, B**** I use a walkie talkie just to get a beverage” – Drake, ‘Trophies’ lyrics
Drizzy dropped over 7 million dollars on his California mansion, that boasts everything from a mechanical bull to a built-in library. Oh yeah, that’s plenty of space to keep his trophies.
4. “You talking to the sex veteran late night let ‘em in, Keep it there for the running for your reverend” – Joey Bada$$, ‘Sol Luna’ lyrics
You gotta love Joey’s annunciation to provide the wordplay. He blends “let her in” and “Letterman”, to subtly reference the famous Late Show host.
3. “A lot of fools puttin’ salt in the game, Until these women get the notion that they runnin’ the game” – YG ft. Drake, ‘Who Do You Love’ lyrics
Disses are what make hip hop competitive. Drake doesn’t fire any names, but is calling his competition “women”, and has rappers thinking they are running the game.
2. “Dead alone make the wrong move it’ll cost you, Old cats want they corner back you know how Moss do” – Raekwon ft. Doe B & T.I., ‘I Wanna Know’ lyrics
Doe B (#RIP) is claiming his territory on the block (corners). He is also referencing how Randy Moss destroyed cornerbacks in the NFL because they simply couldn’t defend him.
1. “Potty mouth, rock star, at the top and still tryna climb, Drop the top sit back recline” – French Montana ft. Lana Del Ray, Snoop Dogg, Wiz Khalifa, ‘All For You’ lyrics
As Kanye West ranted, “Rap is the new Rock n Roll”. According to Forbes, Wiz Khalifa cracked the top 10 highest annual incomes in hip hop, and has the motivation to grind even harder to the top.
Source: The Grio